Advisory is all four years with the same group of students and same advisor. Advisors help students find educational resources, assist students to target key academic learning goals, work with mentors to ensure the rigor of internships, and actively involve parents in their student’s education.
Goals of Advisory Program
- Provide social and emotional support for students as they transition from elementary to adolescence
- Allows advocates to facilitate activities and provide connections to help students build character, confidence, and self-esteem
- Practice the value of effective communication within a community setting - listening and speaking from the heart
- Provides a safe place to offset every day pressures and negative experiences
- Support academic growth and progress (weekly progress, graduation requirement checklist) and foster a sense of empowerment over their own achievements
- Support post-secondary goals and provide direction, guidance, and counseling tools through collaboration with counselor on site and the use of californiacolleges.edu
- Enhance basic skills (i.e. reading and mathematics)
- Build a portfolio demonstrating self-growth over time, service learning and other community-based opportunities and experiences, and academic achievement
- Build community and team-spirit amongst students within each advisory
- Provide opportunities for peer-collaboration and support for one another through team challenges between advisories
- Establish leadership opportunities amongst students at various grade levels
- Be a voice for their community
Advisory is one of the important aspects in TCS’s fulfillment and achievement of vision and mission.